Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are advised that this website might contain images of people who are deceased.

Trip Planner

To purchase take away alcohol in East Arnhem Land you must apply for a liquor permit through Licensing Northern Territory. 

It is recommended you apply for your liquor permit in advance of your expected arrival into East Arnhem Land. This ensures you are not limited by the opening hours of the Licensing Office and are able to purchase alcohol once you arrive into Nhulunbuy or Alyangula. Liquor permits are not issued after hours or on weekends. It is recommended you have a liquor permit if you are travelling with alcohol along the Central Arnhem Road.

To apply for a liquor permit you will need to provide:

  • a completed application form (completed as best as possible)
  • an itinerary, invoice or other information confirming your travel arrangements;
  • a copy of your valid Dhimurru Access Permit (if camping); and
  • photo ID such as a driver’s licence or passport.

Application form for East Arnhem, including Nhulunbuy - DOWNLOAD HERE

Application form for Groote Eylandt - DOWNLOAD HERE

Email your form, and supporting documentation to the following email address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For any enquiries, please call Licensing NT on (08) 8999 1800 (press option 1 and then option 1 again).


Licensed venues

You do not need a permit to consume alcohol in any of the licensed premises in East Arnhem Land.