Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are advised that this website might contain images of people who are deceased.

Trip Planner

Update: 11 May 2021 current entry and permit conditions have not changed. Northern Land Council transit permits are being issued to visitors with valid Dhimurru Recreational Permits. More information below.

Tourism East Arnhem continues to monitor the situation surrounding COVID-19 and the impacts this has on visitors to East Arnhem Land.

East Arnhem Land is open to travellers, however, restrictions apply to travel to communities outside the Gove Peninsula.


Designated Hotspots

The Northern Territory borders are now open to travellers from all Australian jurisdictions. Travellers are no longer required to undertake mandatory supervised unless they have spent time in a designated hotspot within the past 14 days.

Anyone arriving into the Northern Territory from or through a declared hotspot in the last 14 days must undertake 14 days mandatory supervised quarantine. If you are intending to travel to the Northern Territory from an identified coronavirus hotspot you are advised to reconsider your plans.

To read more about current hotspots, please visit coronavirus.nt.gov.au.



Permits are required to access and transit some land destinations within the Northern Territory.

If travelling via the Central Arnhem Road into East Arnhem Land, a free Northern Land Council transit permit is required. You can apply for a transit permit through the Northern Land Council Permit Administration System. In most cases, transit permits are issued within 24 hours.

Travelling to Nhulunbuy (Gove Peninsula)

Nhulunbuy and the broader Gove Peninsula remain open to visitors and transit permits are being issued. This includes recreational areas and campsites administered by Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation.

By road

If travelling to Nhulunbuy (Gove Peninsula) via the Central Arnhem Road for recreational purposes, you should apply online and upload the following as part of your application:

The latest advice from the Northern Land Council requires visitors to apply within 14 days of their intended date of departure. This is to ensure the COVID-19 declaration is current.

If you are a resident of the Gove Peninsula or visiting friends or family you should specify this as part of your application instead of supplying evidence you are a tourist.

By Air

No permit is required if you are travelling to the township of Nhulunbuy by air. However, a Dhimurru Access Permit is required to visit recreational areas surrounding the town. 


Organised tours operating in East Arnhem Land

Tour operators (Lirrwi Tourism, Culture College, Outback Spirit) are taking bookings for 2021, any permits required for your tour will be organised on your behalf.


Travelling outside of Nhulunbuy (Gove Peninsula)

If you have a booking with a tourism business outside of the Gove Peninsula (Dhipirri Barra & Sports Fishing Lodge or Dholuwuy Campgrounds, Baniyala) you should contact these businesses for specific advice. 

The Northern Land Council has advised they are not issuing permits for recreational travel to communities and homelands outside the Gove Peninsula. This includes the communities of: 

These restrictions are at the request of community leaders and will affect very few travellers. Please consult the Northern Land Council (Nhulunbuy office) if you are required to travel to these communities for non-recreational purposes such as work.


Travelling to Groote Eylandt

Travel to Groote Eylandt is by air. Permits are not required for travel to the township of Alyangula or communities of Angurugu, Umbakumba and Milyakbura. Permits, issued by the Anindilyakwa Land Council, are required if you plan on visiting the various recreational areas on the Archipelago.

If you have a booking with a tour company on Groote Eylandt, your permit will be organised on your behalf.


Got questions?

If you have any questions about travelling to East Arnhem Land, please contact us.